Guys, guys! I’ve discovered the secret of life!
When you look after the Little Things
The Little Things stack up to carry your Mental Health & Physical Health
Your Health stacks up to carry the Big Things
My Turtles That Stacked Up To Raise My World
I was low, recently. I suddenly couldn’t face the Big Things.
I knew I had do something differently. I was coasting on empty air, and I tripped and fell right down, down, down.
So instead of focusing on (and beating myself up about) all the Big Things I ‘should’ be doing… I decided to apply a bit of minimalism. In the same vein as ‘digital minimalism‘, I said no to everything except a form of ‘mental health minimalism’.
I just tracked and looked after these Little Things, with the aim of a minimum habit streak.
And without even noticing, they turned into slightly bigger things.
- food (I’m loving tracking my calories on Lose It!)
- cooking a new, delicious dish – Faux Pho
- sleep & a nice bedtime routine to review the day & wind down
- the best sleep for weeks, and waking up happy
- getting my trainers on the pavement (walk)
- running for the first time in a month
- stretching every day (almost)
- my problematic shoulder is a little better
- sending a considered message to someone I care about every day
- shared laughs, inspiration & great social invites
- writing 200 words every day (so low it’s silly, and trips me into more)
- about 600 words every day, for a potential book. And randomly wrote things quickly, like this post, rather than languishing in my ‘ideas’ notebook forever.
- tidying / cleaning for 10 mins a day
- de-cluttered bags of stuff, living space is the best it’s ever been
- being present, doing one thing at a time, and pacing out one goal a day
- feel everything is manageable, applying for & thinking about the Big Things and feeling slightly less overwhelmed
It’s basically like turtles, all the way down.
Because now, I feel that if I trip over Big Things and fall again, there’s a load of turtles ready to catch me. And in the meantime, I keep stacking up those turtles.
It's basically like turtles, all the way down.— amanda leek (@aleekwrites) 13 March 2019
It starts with the little, almost imperceptible, things.
And enough of them can carry a world.
Build yourself up, brick at a time.#Mentalhealth #health #habits #selfcare #life #goodstuff #happy https://t.co/jWUwwHxRyP
Follow me on Twitter